How To Pronounce Clothes?
- 1 Do you pronounce the TH in clothes?
- 2 Why is clothes pronounced close?
- 3 What is the difference between clothes and clothing?
- 4 Do we pronounce the s in months?
- 5 How do you spell clothes you wear?
- 6 How do the British pronounce trousers?
- 7 How do you say close the door?
- 8 Are clothes and close pronounced the same?
- 9 Are clothes and close homonyms?
- 10 Are clothes and close homophones?
Do you pronounce the TH in clothes?
1. Pronouncing “Clothes” /kl o z/ Pronunciation tips: There is NO “th” in the pronunciation of the word “clothes.” Say the vowel sound /o/ l-o-n-g-er.
Why is clothes pronounced close?
Since the th is voiced, the letter ‘s’ after it would also be voiced and would be pronounced as a z sound. This is the standard -s ending pattern. This small detail is why c-l-o-t-h-e-s is a homophone of the verb close and not the adjective which shares the same spelling, close.
What is the difference between clothes and clothing?
Clothing is more formal than clothes and is used especially to mean ‘a particular type of clothes’. There is no singular form of clothes or clothing: a piece/an item/an article of clothing is used to talk about one thing that you wear such as a dress or shirt.
Do we pronounce the s in months?
In the Midwestern American dialect, months is often pronounced “mons” (i.e. məns or monce), emphasizing the “s” sound and virtually ignoring the “th” sound. But honestly it virtually never matters.
How do you spell clothes you wear?
Clothes are what you wear. In other words, clothes is a noun that refers to garments. When you pronounce it, it has a long O—“klohth.” Clothes is also one form of the verb to clothe. Clothe means to dress, to provide with clothes, or to cover something as if with clothing.
How do the British pronounce trousers?
Tips to improve your English pronunciation: Break ‘ trousers ‘ down into sounds: [TROWZ] + [UHZ] – say it out loud and exaggerate the sounds until you can consistently produce them. Record yourself saying ‘ trousers ‘ in full sentences, then watch yourself and listen. You’ll be able to mark your mistakes quite easily.
How do you say close the door?
The word ‘close’ has two pronunciations
- (verb) Please close the door. /kloʊz/
- (adjective) The window is close to the door. /kloʊs/
- (adverb) She is standing close to the door. /kloʊs/
Are clothes and close pronounced the same?
As a British English native speaker, there are usually two distinct ways to pronounce close. close as an adjective or noun is pronounced with a ssss sound, clossssse. Cloth has an O sound like the first letter of ‘on’ but clothes has an O sound like the word ‘oh’. Spoken normally, clothes contains the th sound.
Are clothes and close homonyms?
Close and clothes are commonly confused words that are pronounced in the same way but are spelled differently and have different meanings, which makes them homophones.
Are clothes and close homophones?
The word ‘clothes’ shares the same sound as the word ‘close’, thus making these words homophones.